As with all our courses, Adult Media Skills is very flexible when it comes to delivery. We can cater the course to the specific level and needs of your learner group. The concept is to teach your tutors/youth leaders/teachers modern media skills which will flesh out what they are able to offer to their students who are often very knowledgeable in these areas. Here is an example of a course outline designed to upskill youth leaders who wanted to be able to lead their course participants from a position of knowledge. The subjects roll into one another as participants first create a music track, then a CD cover, then a video for the track covering as many skills as possible in the process.
- Discover the process of creating a contemporary music track using the latest music production techniques.
- Examine the various instruments used in popular music and which ones work well together.
- Construct a variety of drum patterns.
- Put together a bass line, melody and harmonies using different instruments whilst learning basic music writing skills.
- Have the opportunity to either record live instruments that they can play or record their vocals onto a song.
- The tutors perform a basic mix of each group's track for them to take away.
Learning outcomes of the session:
- Create a CD cover for their track.
- Import photos into Photoshop.
- Edit layers utilising skills and techniques to arrange the images into a CD cover.
- Use effects on the images and add text to the CD cover.
- 'Finish' the cover to give it a professional look.
- Create a video for one of the tracks created in Music Production in groups.
- Decide which track to focus on and film interviews, using techniques taught at the beginning of the session.
- Log and capture their footage using professional video editing software 'Final Cut Pro'.
- Edit the footage together using techniques such as transitional fades, editing sound levels and adding text to produce a short music video/documentary.
- Export their video into a quick time movie.