As the acknowledged leaders in music production courses, we use the latest, most effective technology to teach the principles of creative music production with a variety of accreditations ranging from OCN to NCFE to Edexcel. Our music production courses range from Level 1-4, 30 hours to 2 years in length. Whatever your needs, we are confident of being able to fulfill them.
Basic Music Production Course
Music Production students produce their own tracks to a professional standard in the style of thier choice. Starting with the basics, learners get hands-on experience making beats and basslines, using samplers and mixing their finished track.
- Musical styles and production qualities, introducing equipment and terminology, software overview, importing audio loops.
- About MIDI, starting a new project in Music production package, using software instruments, creating a simple drum pattern with the Drum Editor.
- Using MIDI controllers, Bars and beats and quantize explained, write a bass line and basic MIDI editing, Basic Music theory and chords.
- Using audio, audio file formats, time stretching audio, Beat slicing rhythmic patterns.
- Applying the techniques discussed in the previous four weeks to create a new project. The project will include the use of MIDI and audio.
- The mixing desk and connections, connecting a microphone and steps to record a piece of vocal, basic audio editing (top & tail).
- What is sampling? Introducing samplers and main elements, record a short sample and import into sampler, trigger sample via MIDI.
- Assessed task - Generate an original piece of music using edited loops, MIDI tracks and student created samples.
- Introduction to mixing - balancing levels and using equalisation, using reverbs and delay effect processors.
- Exporting a final mix of the project to appropriate file format, create an audio CD, OCN test and certificate of completion presentation.
This OCN LR course is worth 3 credits at Levels 1 & 2.
Please see some examples of our music production course outlines in the links below.
If you are between age 14 and 19 and looking for a summer course to do, then check out our music production summer course.