Point Blank was the first DJ Academy to pioneer DJ courses back in the 90's. Since then we've got it down to a fine art! We teach DJ Skills at Basic, Intermediate and Advanced levels and have won 6 awards in a row for doing so at the annual industry T-Scan Awards hosted by DJ Magazine. From basic beat-matching, through CD and MP3 mixing, how to use the latest software like Serato Scratch, tips and tricks, set building and much more, Point Blank is the acknowledged home of DJ tuition. All musical tastes are catered for by our industry professional DJs.
Basic DJ Course
The BDJ (Basic DJ) is one of our courses for young people with no previous DJ experience. They will soon learn the skills needed to spin the tunes at the next party: setting up equipment, drop-mixing and beat-matching on vinyl decks. Scratching techniques, the use of effects and basic music theory are also introduced.
- Equipment set up, including Health & Safety, testing and where to buy equipment.
- Relate to Music Styles and their relevant BPM's. Understand the basic concept of "beats and bars".
- Understand how to identify a tempo of a record, identify pitch difference and how to adjust the pitch using the pitch control on a deck.
- Beat match two records together.
- Extended beat matching and how to adjust minor tempo mismatches.
- Have a basic concept of EQ and how to utilise this in a DJ set.
- Introduction to acapella mixing and how to identifying a tempo without a beat.
- Mixing acapella into beats and vice versa
- Tips on record selection for building the right sets. How to record a "Live" set into a computer. One to one tuition.
- OCN LR test and one to one tuition to complete "Live" set.
This OCN LR course is worth 3 credits at Levels 1 & 2
Fact: Due to demand, Point Blank has run women only DJ courses for young people (not without some controversy in the Guardian online!) which are now a popular addition to our portfolio.