The Magazine production course aims to give students a realistic and hands-on introduction in to the complex process of creating a magazine from grass root levels and the skills they need to develop to do so. It aims to heighten their creativity both in design and in writing. They are given the skills they need to create their own magazine, filled with their own content, based around their interests.
- Find the target audience, analyse structure of magazines, choose sections and layout.
- Discuss editorial content, writing style/tone, different types of copy (i.e. headline, standfirst etc.)
- Resource photography and illustration, create their own pictures and illustrations.
- Typography: analyse fonts used within the industry, resource and install fonts available on the internet and explore potential technical issues.
- Photoshop and Illustrator: set the right resolution for printing, explore filters, Vector vs Bitmapped Images, create illustrations in Illustrator/Photoshop using basic tools such as brushes and pencils.
- InDesign: how to create master pages, customise a colour palette, import images and copy, picture wrap and arrange elements.
- The final task is to create a complete magazine using the skills learnt and resources collected throughout the course before prepping the magazine for final print.
This course is OCN LR accredited for 3 credits (30 hours of learning) at levels 1.