Graffiti Art has been a vibrant art form for many years, closely linked with Hip Hop and Rap since the 70's. Graffiti's music and art culture has a great appeal for young people. This activity breaks graffiti down into practical styles and techniques within a historical context. This is a creative and fun course using aerosols, markers, canvasses and stencils. Past graffiti courses for young people have culminated in a group project such as painting a designated wall.
- The history of graffiti art, artists and styles; and gain a wider perspective of graffiti art in terms of its legal / illegal implications.
- Tools, materials and techniques: using different media to expand on existing skills.
- Creating a "piece" using different materials, tools, and techniques.
- Adobe Photoshop software and its uses for graffiti. Learn how to make tee shirts / flyer designs.
- The design process: creating an original work on canvas.
- Diverse range of graffiti styles and how to use stencils, chalk, scratches, etc. Use cut outs and collages and create small scale works using mixed media.
- Final piece: ideas, styles, and message. Work in groups in sharing design process.
- Look at examples of "crazygood" graffiti, isolating elements and effects and working out the process behind them. Assess ideas for final group piece and rework designs.
- One-to-one tuition.
- OCN LR test & one to one tuition to complete final piece.
This OCN LR course is worth 3 credits at Levels 1 and 2.